Quality for the Oil and Gas Industry: ISO 29001 (Petroleum, petrochemical and natural Gas)
ISO/TS 29001 is developed by industry and quality Experts in collaboration between the American Petroleum Institute (API) and ISO technical committee ISO/ TC 67, materials, equipment and offshore structures for petroleum, petro-chemical and natural gas industries.
Incorporating the requirements of ISO 9001, ISO 29001 also includes detailed sector-specific requirements for design, development, production, installation and service of products. To assist the user, the requirements of ISO 9001 are given in boxed text, followed by specific guidance and supplementary requirements (45 requirements in addition to ISO 9001) for its implementation within the industry.
Although some of the supplementary requirements may be viewed as not specific to this industry, they are needed in ISO/TS 29001 in order to ensure that the requirement(s) are explicit and can be audited.
ISO/TS 29001 is expected to result in „increased international acceptance of time-tested sector-specific quality system requirements on a broad scale for the worldwide oil and gas industry.“
The new technical specification aims at the development of a quality management system that provides for continual improvement, emphasizing defect prevention and the reduction of variation and waste in the supply chain and from service providers.
- manufacturers of oil industry equipment and materials
- service providers to the oil and gas industry
- purchasers of equipment, materials and services
- organizations who could use the standard for assessments and certification
Organizations are interested to apply ISO Standards for Quality Management Systems because requirements there specified are key points consistently providing products that meet customer and regulatory requirements in to the context of the continual improvement. Customers can be interested to consider certification to ISO/TS 29001 as a key point for qualification of their product suppliers.
A quality certificate issued by a “credible” third party may permit an organization to satisfy such need of its customers even if the most relevant oil companies don’t renounce to directly perform their qualifications.
Why does the Oil and Gas industry need more than ISO 9001?
- Characteristics of oil and gas industry
- Global industry that operates worldwide (Range of skills, cultures, exposure to international markets)
- Failure of goods or services can have severe consequences
- Consistently verifiable assurance is required
- Owners and operators need to manage the risks arising from using materials and equipment
ISO 9001, API, ISO 14001, SCC, SCP, ISO 17776, ISO 45001 (formerly OHSAS 18001), IATF 16949 (formerly ISO/TS 16949)