OHSAS 18001 (Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Systems)
The version 2007 of OHSAS 18001 puts much more emphasis on health protection as the previous one in regard to prevention and sustainable health protection.
The adoption of this standard systemizes safety related activities and helps to improve the processes. Moreover it systematically enhances legal compliance and general conditions due to the use of transparent systems for persons responsible and executives. Awareness of OH&S risks is promoted. Legal requirements relating to OH&S are verifiably fulfilled. There is an open information policy in terms of the development of OH&S. Occupational safety and health protection are improved continually. Processes are studied and reviewed systematically. Measures are defined, monitored and assessed.
An organization certified acc. to OHSAS 18001 enjoys higher confidence among customers, suppliers, employees, authorities and investors. Elements of OHSAS 18001 can be combined to a comprehensive management system with those of ISO 9001 and ISO 14001. This means OHSAS 18001 is to be used as a standard congruent with ISO 9001.
- establishing an OH&S management system in order to minimize risks towards employees and other interested parties, who might be exposed to OH&S risks in connection with the organization
- continual improvement of an OH&S management system
- demonstrable conformity with the organization’s own safety policy
- communicating this conformity to the outside
- having the OH&S management system certified/registered by an external organization
- determining the organization’s own OH&S level and declaring conformity with the present OHSAS Specification
- trade and industry
- service providers
- social institutions
- public and municipal sectors
- rail companies
The management system OHSAS 18001 includes requirements for OH&S management systems, which help the organizations to manage their OH&S risks and improve their performance.
The BS OHSAS Specification can be applied by any organization. All the requirements stated in the present OHSAS Specification are intended to be taken over to an OH&S management system. The extent to which they are used depends on such factors as the safety policy of the respective organization, the organization’s activities, the risks and the complexity of the operations and processes.
In order to be certified acc. to OHSAS 18001, an organization must fulfill the following criteria:
- elaborating a safety policy
- performing a risk analysis, planning, setting objectives and establishing a programme for reducing the number and scope of accidents at work
- integrating the requirements in the business processes
- internal auditing and periodic management review of the system
Acc. to the Federal Law Gazette, 153rd Regulation, which was published on 22 May 2009, Quality Austria is accredited for certifying organizations acc. to OHSAS 18001.
ISO 9001, ISO 14001, SCP, SA 8000®, SQAS, SCC, EN 13816, SMS § 39 EisbG EU RL 2004/49/EG