EMAS helps organisations to improve their internal environmental protection autonomously and continually. EMAS stands for “Eco-Management and Audit Scheme”, which is also known under the keyword “Eco-Audit”. EMAS yields the following comprehensive benefits:
- increasing credibility and transparency towards the public in issues relating to environmental protection
- increasing legal certainty
- securing the organisation’s future on a long-term basis
- competitive edge enabled by the improvement of the organisation’s image among the customers, employees, subsuppliers and public authorities
- increasing the employees’ identification with the organisation
- increasing productivity and cost savings
- reducing operating cost by saving energy and raw materials and avoiding waste
- consolidation of administrative decisions and permits based on the Environmental Management Act
- simplification of administration
EMAS focuses on the organisations’ autonomy:
- maintenance and documentation of legal compliance
- documentation of environmental performance in the environmental statement
- identifying and eliminating ecological and economic weaknesses
- reducing costs by saving material or energy
EMAS shall be open to the participation of any organisation dedicated to improving its overall environmental performance and internal environmental protection. Companies, craft businesses or business establishments, public institutions and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) can also use EMAS as a management system.
According to the EMAS Regulation, the environmental management system does not only have to meet the requirements of Clause 4 of ISO 14001 (Environmental Management System Requirements) but also has to fulfil the following minimum criteria:
The environmental verifier will declare the environmental statement to be invalid if he/she states during verification, e.g. in the course of sampling, that the organisation fails to comply with legal regulations.
Improvement of environmental performance
Organisations shall commit themselves to the continual improvement of their environmental performance.
External communication and relations
The environmental statement is one important communication tool. Furthermore, there should be an open dialogue with the public and other interested parties. This shall be demonstrated to the environmental verifier in the course of an environmental audit.
The organisation shall demonstrate that the employees are actively involved in the process designed to bring about sustainable improvement.
Requirements placed by EMAS
- establishing an environmental management system in order to define, deploy, implement, review and continue environmental policy
- carrying out an internal environmental review
- carrying out an internal environmental audit
- drawing up an environmental statement
- sending the environmental statement to the registration body (competent body)
Quality Austria - Trainings, Zertifizierungs und Begutachtungs GmbH is accredited as competent body by the Federal Ministry for Agriculture and Forestry, Environment and Water Management (BMLFUW – “Bundesministerium für Land-, und Forstwirtschaft, Umwelt und Wasserwirtschaft”).
If you are interested in system certification, we will be pleased to contact you. Please complete the inquiry form below. An employee will deal with your concern as soon as possible.
As for information given on the phone, our Customer Service Center will be pleased to be at your disposal at (+43 732) 34 23 22.
Information for offers
In order to enable us to make a detailed and complete offer for certification/assessment of your organization, you are requested to complete this questionnaire and return it to us via fax: (+43 732) 34 23 23
or e-mail: office(at)qualityaustria.com.
If you have questions, our Customer Service Center will be pleased
to be at your disposal at (+43 732) 34 23 22.