Quality Management in Construction
Meanwhile quality management has become an absolute “must” in building industry. Environmental management systems acc. to ISO 14001 and OH&S (Occupational Health and Safety) systems, such as OHSAS 18001 and SCC, are fully en vogue. Almost all medium-sized building companies and, above all, the companies active in building industry have already introduced a quality management system and are now taking action to develop this system towards integrated management systems.
Quality management in building industry has become one of the most successful strategies for remaining economically successful on the market even though the requirements are rising constantly. More and more building owners realize both the opportunity and responsibility for demanding and ensuring the quality capability of the companies they entrust when handling building projects. For example, executing companies, subcontractors, professionals and planning and architectural offices are increasingly required not only to evidence their creative performance but, above all, their systemic, organizational and entrepreneurial skills. A Certificate issued by Quality Austria is one of the best ways of doing so.
The order situation is becoming more and more difficult while the fact that the prices are decreasing also reduces the revenue. Therefore, the executing companies cannot really afford to be obliged to eliminate damage covered by a warranty and defects of execution (often repetitive failures) afterwards. As is shown by the statistics of damage occurring during construction, the average failure costs amount to 6-8 % of the production costs and thus often devour the whole revenue in many companies. In building industry, quality means the sum of services provided by all the persons involved in the building project. As a rule, responsibility for designing, executing and creating value devolves on different parties (building owner, architect, planner, building contractors, subcontractors, producers of and trade with building material).
Important advantages yielded by qua...
Important advantages yielded by quality management systems in building industry
- Defects of execution will be reduced.
- Repetitive failures (which may be made on other building sites or by other employees) will be prevented.
- The amount of rework necessary during construction will be reduced.
- Interface problems with clients, planners, subcontractors, suppliers, public authorities, etc., will be reduced.
- Clear and fixed filing systems and standardized forms (in a low number) help to systematically furnish evidence and important documents (often many years later). Thanks to this, evidencing due diligence in liability issues will be made easier and accelerated.
Training and certification of persons
For further information about our international training and certification programm visit this page.