IATF 16949:2016 is a standard in the automotive industry that is recognized world-wide. This standard has significantly contributed to the harmonization of the requirements placed on management systems in the automotive industry. IATF 16949 is recognized by all automobile manufacturers globally and is required in the supply chain.
With a certification according to IATF 16949 an organization will automatically also meet the requirements of ISO 9001 as well as the basic expectations of many automobile manufacturers and the supplier industry as a whole.
In its 1st edition, IATF 16949:2016 is the successor to ISO/TS 16949:2009. Together with the requirements of ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 9000:2015 as well as the relevant customer specific requirements of the automotive industry, this quality management system standard establishes the conditions of quality management systems for automotive production and relevant service parts organizations.
Certification according to IATF 16949 can be done exclusively by a certification body recognized and accredited by IATF (International Automotive Task Force) and by specially qualified auditors. At the moment, IATF 16949 is a harmonized standard, which includes the requirements placed on quality management systems by the automobile manufacturers that are most important world-wide. It is a matter of guaranteeing the strategic further development of quality management on the basis of ISO 9001 by integrating the additional requirements of the automotive industry into the management system and structure. Nowadays many automobile manufacturers absolutely demand certification according to IATF 16949 as a prerequisite for admitting an organization to their pool of manufacturers.
This requirement also includes the necessity to demonstrate that all suppliers employed in the supply chain are at least certified according to ISO 9001, and additionally have processes conforming to IATF 16949.
- Using the automobile core tools
- Further development of the improvement process
- Ensuring process performance in the realization processes (process capability, product saftey, warranty management, subsupplier mangement)
- Reducing scatter and wastage in the supply chain
- Optimizing the value added chain (efficiency of the processes)
- Automotive industry and its subsuppliers
- The overall supply chain of the automotive industry; therefore referring to both direct and indirect suppliers of products that are installed in the vehicle
The requirements of IATF 16949:2016 are stated in addition to the relevant clauses of ISO 9001: 2015. Examples of the se new requirements of ISO 16949 include:
- Requirements for safety relevant parts and processes
- Increased prerequisites concerning to the traceability of the products
- Requirements for products with an embedded software IATF 16949:2016
- Warranty management in connection with “NTF” (no trouble found)
- Expressing subsupplier management and supplier development in more concrete terms
- Adding requirements concerning corporate responsibility
Quality Austria - Trainings, Zertifizierungs und Begutachtungs GmbH has been accredited by IATF since 01/2001 and is the first Austrian certification body to be accredited for IATF 16949 (formerly ISO/TS 16949) by IATF.
VDA 6.1, VDA 6.2, VDA 6.4, ISO 9001