The new certification standard ISO 41001 “Facility management – Management systems – Requirements with guidance for use” was published on October 1st, 2018. This new standard enables organizations operating in the business of facility management or facility services to implement an industry specific certification. ISO 41001 follows the same structure as ISO 9001. Organizations already certified according to ISO 9001 can therefore easily integrate ISO 41001 into their existing system.
Facility management comprises many fields that are essential for increasing efficiency (e.g. conservation of resources through energy savings) and productivity (e.g. increasing the availability of facilities) of the organization. ISO 41001 fulfills this high responsibility.
By implementing ISO 41001 it should be ensured that the services to be performed are carried out in a planned and controlled manner.
In the subsequent certification of the facility management system, independent experts carry out random checks in an objective and transparent manner to verify the correct and effective implementation of ISO 41001 as well as the realization of the services to be provided. The positive completion of the audit is documented with a certificate.
- Improvement of the communication of requirements between the facility management organization and the customer
- Higher efficiency and effectiveness of the services to be performed
- Better consistency of the services to be performed
- Improvement of the traceability of the provided facility management services
- Certifiability of the management system according to 41001
- Organizations that provide facility management services
- Organizations that offer facility management services and participate in tenders
If an organization is already certified according to ISO 9001, ISO 41001 can be implemented very well as a supplementary set of rules, and integrated with little extra effort in the course of the ISO 9001 audit. However a stage 1 audit has to be carried out once in advance. A separate certificate is issued for ISO 41001.
If an organization is not certified according to ISO 9001, it is possible to audit ISO 41001 independently and issue the corresponding certificate. The rules of the ISO 9001 certification are to be applied. Two types of audit (stage 1 - pre-audit, stage 2 - certification audit) must be carried out.
An ISO 41001 Certificate is valid for 3 years. A surveillance audit is performed annually, a recertification audit after 3 years.
ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 45001