This new international standard specifies requirements for a controlled chain of custody (CoC) of wood and wood-based products, cork and lignified materials other than wood, such as bamboo, and their products.
This document is not a private CoC Standard, but an ISO Standard, which is applicable and recognized worldwide.
This standard is intended to enable tracking of wood or wood-based products to provide evidence of their origin and compliance with legal requirements. However, it cannot be applied in forest management.
- You can demonstrate your sense of responsibility and commitment to the environment with sustainable development.
- Your certificate can be applied as a risk prevention tool („responsible consumption”).
- You can improve your image.
- You will gain your customers’ confidence that wood or wood-based products do not originate from illegal or unsafe sources.
ISO 38200:2018 also promotes the UN Sustainable Development Goal number 12 „Responsible Consumption and Production“.
A certification according to ISO 38200 does not imply logo license fees or notification fees of third parties.
- Enabling the tracking of materials
- Evidence of compliance with legal requirements
- Control methods for the chain of custody
- Sawmills and planing mills
- Wood industry
- Paper industry
- Timber and paper trade
- Joiners and carpenters
- Printing companies and publishing houses
The standard is structured as follows:
- General requirements
- Organizational requirements
- Documents and records
- Inspection and control
- Complaint management
- Categories / Identification and acceptance of input material
- Due diligence system
- Risk assessment process
- Chain of custody methods
- Output information
The Annex addresses the topics of social welfare and employment, environment, trade and customs, internal audits and guidance related to legally harvested material and risk assessment.
Quality Austria is not yet accredited for the certification of ISO 38200, but aims to gain accreditation.
PEFCTM CoC, FSC® CoC. ISO 9001 is helpful for the design of processes.