VDA 6, Part 4 (Verband der deutschen Autmobilindustrie)
As manufacturers of means of production could not be certified according to VDA 6.1, a modification was made in 1999. Based on VDA 6.1, this new Standard for the manufacturers of means of production was developed. In view of TES 9000 (QS-9000 for means of production), this definitely was a supplement that was long overdue. Today, VDA 6.4 presents itself as an autonomous Standard. Furthermore, through VDA 6.4 compliance with automotive requirements can be demonstrated in areas in which no certification according to IATF 16949 is possible at the moment. Organizations directly concerned include toolmakers, builders of plants and devices, manufacturers of special machinery or of wraparound packaging.
The document VDA 6.4 is a German automotive Standard. For example, many German automobile manufacturers review the quality capability of their direct contracting parties based on this directive and partly absolutely require certification.
As the manufacturers of means of production cannot be certified according to IATF 16949, this Standard is a real alternative to verify the specifications for fulfilling the specific requirements throughout the supply chain.
Certification according to VDA 6.4:2017 is always a supplement based on certification according to ISO 9001. Among other things, the new assessment method considers possible residual risks. Therefore, VDA 6.4 helps to provide expressive statements about the quality of the management system (method based on measurement).
- strategic business planning and its implementation based on concrete business plans
- optimized improvement process
- secured project management
- secured production processes, even for single-unit production or small-scale series
- sustainable optimization of the customer-supplier relationship
- optimizing customer satisfaction
- Manufacturers of means of production working with the automotive industry, e.g. toolmakers, builders of plants and devices, manufacturers of special machinery or of wraparound packaging.
Guidelines of VDA 6, Part 4
The document VDA 6.4 is a technical Standard. It was originally developed by a workgroup of the German automotive industry while considering the requirements of the document VDA 6.1.
In its current version, VDA 6.4 completely follows the structure of ISO 9001, just as IATF 16949 does. The contents of the requirements of ISO 9001 have been entirely incorporated. The specific additional requirements are inserted in separate chapters and supplements directly following the structure of ISO 9001.
Important additional requirements of VDA 6.4 as compared to ISO 9001 include:
- strategic short-term, medium-term and long-term business planning
- design of the process map
- controlling, financial reporting
- additional requirements for marketing and sales
- product development
- final assembly and acceptance at the customer site
- customer support and service
Quality Austria – Trainings, Zertifizierungs und Begutachtungs GmbH has been accredited for VDA 6.1 by VDA/QMC since 12/1996. For VDA 6.2 and for VDA 6.4, Quality Austria – Trainings, Zertifizierungs und Begutachtungs GmbH has been accredited since 03/1999.
For each Standard, Quality Austria is the first Austrian certification body to be accredited by VDA.
Various VDA Volumes and the manufacturers’ specifications, ISO 9001, IATF 16949